Search This Blog

Friday, March 12, 2010

Keynote Address at University of Waterloo - WUSC Symposium

The World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a significant part of my relatively young history. We go at least 9 years back. As such, I am actively engaged with WUSC - all centering around advocacy for refugee girl child education. On February 3rd, I received an email from WUSC University of Waterloo Chapter asking me to be the keynote speaker for their first symposium. The focus of the symposium was on Millennium Development Goals #2: Universal Primary Education for all Children. Knowing that my calendar fills up really quickly, I almost immediately accepted the offer as the topic is one that captivates my research interest.

After several email exchanges and planning, I finally made my way down to University of Waterloo on March 6, 2010. I arrived a bit later - courtesy - a hired taxi driver who felt the need to do a city contour before delivering me to my destination. As I hurried into the hall, there, stretched across the Great Hall, an estimated 40-50 students patiently peering and waiting for the event to begin. Professor Larry Swatuk opened up the program with a fantastic overview of the MDGs with regards to it's emergence, history, implications, and potential outcomes globally.

I mounted the podium after a somewhat elaborate introduction profiling my numerous achievements. With clear enunciation, articulation, bouts of quizzical pauses and humour, I spoke for 45 minutes on a hybridized topic: Faites Attention sur le deux: MDG and Universal Primary Education by 2015. Though, I was concerned about being too direct with respect to the UN obssession with the "For All Fallacy"; I managed to return positive feedback after my presention. I joined in with participants to discuss international development issues in a global cafe style. Many were able to ask questions and discuss critical perspectives on the pros and cons of international development work.

By 6pm, after settling down into my hotel, a group of 7, including the Symposium Organizers, extended an invitation to dine at the local Mongolian ALL YOU CAN EAT restuarant. You bet, it was sumptuous and filling! A day worth spending...

No comments:

Post a Comment