Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Gender Inequality in Global Political Leadership

Hello Everyone! I know what you're thinking: it's been way too long. Yes indeed I've not kept up with my once-per month post. I am simply overwhelmed with so much. Please hear me out. I wrote eight exam papers and completed submission of two dissertations (LLB and PhD) in 2016. Trust me, it was not an easy feat. But guess what? I did it!!! YEAH! And now that the LLB is done and I am almost done with the PhD, research, book publication, conference, and journal article review requests started to literally crash in on me. Well, it is all good,  but just busy.

OK, like most people around the world, I was also immersed into the US elections for obvious reasons. In the wee hours of 8 November 2016, I sat on the couch, resting my head on the shoulders of my husband with tears running down my cheeks as I watched the results of the election. Initially, I had anticipated being a living part of two great histories, i.e., to see the first Black President and the first Female President elected in the US. It hurt then and still hurts with every news and tweets larking around on Donald Trump

As I thought about topics to share on my block the global trend of rejected female leadership in politics became obvious. Each day as I introspect and think critically about social justice and equality issues, I wonder why females in leadership face ongoing challenges especially from men. Then, I started to familiarise myself with more information on these political leaders in relation to Hillary Clinton's loss of the US presidency to Trump: Dilma Rossef, President of Brazil (2011-2016), Park Geun-Hye (President of South Korea 2013-2017), Ameenah Gurib-Fakim (President of Mauritius (2015-2018) versus Jacob Zuma (president of South Africa 2009-2018) and Rodrigo Duterte, (President of the Philippines 2016-present).

I am constantly abhorred by some Americans narrow view and lack of ability to think critically about Obama's leadership. Even when there seems to be some level of objective assessment of Trump's insanity, still he and the GOP will find a way to always blame President Obama for every political problem in America. Sometimes, it is ridiculous and nonsensical how far some of these vitriolic spew can go. But for the ability to exercise independent research and examination, I wonder the fate of all those who gulp down junk media in a zombie-like fashion. Such toxic hatred definitely spilled over to inherent dislike of Clinton and the most powerful democratic nation mockery of gender equality. Well, at this point, the only logical conclusion as to why women are so fiercely examined and discriminated against by men primarily boils down to their gender. The patriarchal and paternalistic world over, men will stop at nothing to ensure they continue to assert power and control over women. But, not for too long, especially with increasing rise in women's voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment