Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2009

BRITISH COLUMBIA TRIP

Public Health Association of British Columbia Annual Conference (November 23 - 24, 2009)

I left Vancouver in April 2008 for Victoria to work with the BC Government. After barely 4 months in Victoria, I gained admissions to the best law school in Canada - Osgoode Hall Law School - to persue a Master in Law (LLM) Research Stream - degree. I had not returned to Vancouver until I was accepted to present at the Public Health Association of British Columbia 2009 Annual Conference. The Conference was held at the Plaza 500 Hotel in Vancouver. My presentation "Health & Human Trafficking: A Framework for Policy Makers" usied the principles of Social Determinants of Health and the World Health Organization's definition 0f health, to investigate the efficacy of mainstreaming health in human trafficking laws and policies in Canada.

Whilst in Vancouver, I had the opportunity to re-visit many places and persons including where I lived when I was an undergraduate student at the University of British Columbia- Fairview Crescent; the Alma Mata Student Society, the Dean of Arts Office, the Psychology Department, International House, Walter C. Koerner's Library, the Vice President Students Office and more. I also made trips to Victoria and Penticton to see families and friends. In the midst of it all, I had the chance to explore the novelty of the new light rail system built purposely for the 2010 Winter Olympics...it is truly the "state of the art" construction. My last evening in Vancouver was spent at my adopted family's house, where friends and families were invited to share an evening of food, conversation and laughter, to celebrate the successful defense of my LLM Thesis in October 2009.

Having exhausted myself with so much travelling and less eating at the same time getting school work done in between - I passed out on the flight back to Toronto. WestJet Staff were great as they collaborated efforts to make sure I was alive on arrival. A trip to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment