Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2009

CALIFORNIA TRIP

The last time I was with my family in California was September 2007. Then Mama was there and we organized a big party for my siblings and I as four of us are born in September. I've missed them so much especially my nieces and nephews. So, after trotting the globe (since then, I have moved at least four times Geneva, Vancouver, Victoria and now Toronto); I decided to spend Christmas holidays with them. I managed to get major school work done - marked essays, submitted papers for classes as well as complete my research proposal draft - if this special vacation was going to be stress/school free.

My greatest anticipation of visiting my family, is that, I get to enjoy the "power of hierarchy." I grew up like most African/Liberian children (whatever that may mean to you). The older you are the more respect you conjure, irrespective of age. That means, as the third born of 8 children and the eldest of my five siblings in California, I get to relax whilst my youngest siblings cook, clean and do other communal house chores. But of course, Mama did a darn good job in disciplining us, so we tend to do things together for/with each other.

Another part of my family I enjoy very well, (too bad that Mama has returned home) is the fact that we are TEASERS - I'm not kidding. We laugh/joke a lot and geez there is a clown in our family. I won't give him away but he knows himself. We grew up with a very strict, disciplinarian mother, who took NO NONESENSE from us. Who could have blamed her? She had to be strong - knowing that for many years she was on her own struggling to make something out of our lives. Back then, we cried, grumbled, sulked and got annoyed, but now as responsible moral citizens, we would often gather to make fun of Mama's "iron hands." I said, too bad she's gone back home because now that her strength is gradually dwindling, whenever we tease her, she can only laugh rather than "giving the eye" or "waving the hand" - my siblings know exactly what I'm talking about.

My nieces and nephews:-)! Ahhhh...I have seven of them in California with the youngest born about 4 months ago. These are the best "littlings" ever in my life. When I arrived, school was just about closing with end of year parties, plays and events being hosted at each one of then schools. I organized and made sure to be present at each of their events because I don't know when such opportunity will arise again. My sweet li'l B who was only about 6yo when I last saw her, is 10 going on 25. Li'l miss J, came to visit me in Vancouver, two years ago...she was only 2yo, now she's 5 going on 30. Ms Princess and her two brothers - Mr. V and Mr J are so adorable. Whilst Mr. V is quite inquisitive and intelligent (of course all of them are smart - can't you tell? Mama gave us parts of her brains); Mr. J, like his cousin Mr. O, are quite reserve. Whatever their unique characteristics and personalities, I enjoyed playing games with them, watching cartoons, running in the park, and doing homework. These "littlings" are a significant part of my life - without them, I am incomplete!

Food...did I say Liberian traditional dishes? Well, unfortunately, I always find myself in parts of the world where accessing traditional Liberian food is almost non-existent. I die for cassava leaves, potatoes greens, fufu and soup, palm butter, dry rice and smoked fish, ketele torgborgee and more. In fact, my insatiation for torborgee drove me all the way to Texas - hence the essence of spending 2nights on the greyhound bus headed for Dallas.

No comments:

Post a Comment