Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Happy Belated Natal Day: Bob Marley - My Lion in Zion!!!

Yesterday, 6 February 2011 Robert Nesta Marley would have been 66 years old if his life wasn't cut so short. There are few good men in my life and Bob Marley is certainly one of them. My deep love for one of Africa's strongest revolutionary leaders started when I quite "thinny whinny." I remember way back when, in the early 80's when it was vacation time in Bardnersville Eastate, Monrovia, Liberia. Kids from everywhere (the community, far-away boarding schools or abroad) would converge in Area B Parking Lot to play - some skipping rope - chanting "Mary Mack Dressed in Black..." (oh yes, Liberia is the perfect colony of the US) others playing kickball, basketball or tuning up the "ghetto blaster". 

What were the songs lined-up - Boy George Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (by the way I love Boy George too); Alpha Blondie Brigadier Sabari, Michael Jackson Beat it/Thriller (lots of MJ - of course, he is #1), Lionel Richie All Night Long, Whitney Houton How Will I know, Smokey Robinson One Heart Beat, Stevie Wonder Part-time Lover and the list goes on (we were "typical African kids" in the "hood" - you know what I'm saying???). But my fondest memories were when we grouped around the boom-box miming Bob Marley's War, Rat Race, Positive Vibration, Redemption Song, I shot the Sheriff, Get Up Stand Up, Buffalo Soldiers, One Love, Could You Be Love, No Woman No Cry and the whole nine yards from Soul Train or Motown.

Later did I know that after 20 some thing years, I will end up in Canada and Bob Marley will resurface in my life. His genuine passion to see Africa/Africans as one will be the driving force behind me scrapping my skull to grow my natural twist as well as preaching pan-Africanism everywhere I go. Bobby I can't pay you for the strong African values and identity you have helped bestow upon me. So today, I stand to proclaim that whatever you started I am committed to not just carrying your baton but also passing it on to the next running mate. I love you and you will forever be my HERO.

NB: Darn come to think of it...I really do miss my childhood - what some might mistakenly call "poor Africa" those were the best times of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment