Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

EDUCATING LIBERIAN CHILDREN ABOUT THEIR RIGHTS

If you are an extremely hard working person you will feel my excitement! You know the feeling you get when you have spent sleepless nights completing your "side jobs" because daylight wouldn't permit you? YES! The picture on the right hand side of this post explains it all.

It started two years ago when the Good Citizen Project (GCP) was started with my fellow Liberians McAnthony Keah and Dan Brown. I was asked how and what can I contribute? I instantly thought about writing children's books to educate them about human rights. GCP loved the idea and we instantly dubbed the Volume - Human Rights Series. Soon after, I happened to make my first trip to Liberia - 18 years after I left. And though I have no experience with writing children's books, there was no shortage of stories in Liberia. From the Ministry of Education to small villages across the counties, I watched, observed, and wept - not just for my poverty stricken past but that even after some three decades plus children are still in such impoverished situation in Liberia. I keep asking why and what can be done to ameliorate this concern?

I returned to Canada and instantly put pen to paper. Miatta & Kiazulu Wants to Have a School in their Village was the result. Yesterday, I held for the first time, the 21 page colourful glossy print. Published by First Choice Books, it begins with Article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights "Everyone has the right to education" and Article 28 of the Convention of the Rights of the Child "...governments should make primary education compulsory and available free to all". This story highlights Miatta and Kiazulu's conversation as they journey to school miles away from their village. 

As this is the first of GCP's Human Rights Series, we look forward to ensuring that every child in Liberia has a copy to the book. It is our long-term goal that through GCP, children in Liberia/Africa will become good citizens, leaders and human rights advocates. Watch this space for more information on how to obtain a copy of Miatta and Kiazulu Wants to Have a School in their Village.

This post will be incomplete without saying thanks to the person behind the beautiful coloring - Frederic Jacques Carrasca, the Illustrator. Merci beaucoup mon ami - nous l'ai fait!
Paix!!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Malcolm...it's been so long. Are you there? How's Meghan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulation veronica, i m proud to be part of this project...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci Frederic. Parce-que de toi, le projet est possible. Merci beaucoup pour l'illustration. J'espere te voir tres tot. Veronique XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx Tyler as always - yesterday, I swung by the SUB for nibbles and couldn't help but imagine "Mafia"...my crazy life. I just can't come...but I'll keep trying.

    ReplyDelete