Search This Blog

Saturday, October 1, 2011

60 MILLION GIRLS - I WAS PART OF THAT NUMBER

Yes, it's only 18 years ago that I was being counted as one of several million refugee girls around the world who had no access to education. Then one day my luck shine only because my Mama - as poor as she was -  forbid me to follow boys (OH YES SHE DID) and put my "head in my books". See Mama is the toughest disciplinarian I have ever known in my life. My siblings and I often reflect on her "no-nonsense" disciplinarian style - most times we crack up with endless laughter. BUT back then it was no joke - I'm not kidding you. Many days, like any normal teenager, I bickered with her wondering why she was so tough on me. One day, I had the audacity to say to Mama that she's not my real mother because if she were, she won't treat me with such ironed fisk. Mama just laughed and said - "go find your real mother." Of course, she is my biological mother - it's taken me some three decades plus to really appreciate her fully! I bless every day in my life to have her - all that I am and have become, I owe it 100 per cent to Mama.

I am very much aware that I'm veering off but you see, you must realize that my story is never mine but rather seamlessly interwoven with that of my Mama's. So, if you are in Montreal, Quebec area come listen to my mother's story lived through me. Visit 60 Million Girls for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment