Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

11 YEARS IN CANADA - OOOPS BLACKS ARE HISTORICAL IN BC

Well, so I find with learning about Aboriginals in Canada. The same amount of time (11 years)  it took me to finally learn about people of African descent in Canada who are usually not seen as "legitimate Canadians". And now, TING the lights have gone off! Its 5am in the morning, I'm on discovery lane  - James Douglas' mother was from British Guiana. Then, the Domino Effect sets in - one link leads to another - the first black family, invited by Governor James Douglas, settled in Vancouver Island (and other parts of Canada West) since 1858. But, then I happened upon the Vancouver History Website - I am still trying to understand why these significant historical moments are conveniently absent from the website? Not even Rosemary Brown is mentioned - interesting! Ohmmmmmm keep pondering too, hopefully it might motivate you to re-write your story, after you've had a glance at Hogan's Alley; Africville and African-Canadian Online. On a slightly different note, did you know that the UN passed a Resolution in December 2010 making 2011 the International Year for People of African Descent? Well, be in the know...don't take 11 years...at least I'm writing my story, what about you?

           

No comments:

Post a Comment